SleepRate is affordable, accessible and easy to use sleep monitoring app. It’s a simple and effective way to gain insight into your sleep patterns, determine why you aren’t sleeping well and learn how you can get a better night’s rest. The system was developed with assistance from sleep experts at Stanford University, so it uses proven techniques to promote optimal rest.
This application is compatible with Android and iOS devices. The sleep monitor on your phone can be used on its own or with an optional heart rate monitor. The free version of the app offers a number of valuable features for tracking your sleep quality. You can always purchase a heart rate monitor or upgrade to the premium Sleep-Life Balance Program later. Here’s how the app works.
Using the Free Sleep Monitoring App
- To get started, download the sleep monitoring app through Google Play or the Apple App Store. Next, you’ll be prompted to create an account and enter some basic information about yourself, such as your age, height and weight.
- When you go to bed, you’ll start a sleep-tracking session. The app will ask you several questions about your day, such as your level of stress and the duration of any naps. It will also give you a recommended wake-up time. You’ll have the option to set the integrated alarm clock and decide whether the app should record nighttime noises.
- In the morning, you’ll close the sleep monitor by confirming that you are awake. The device will ask you a few simple questions about how long it took you to fall asleep and how long any periods of insomnia were. Once you confirm your entries, the sleep monitoring app will upload your report. Wi-Fi or a data connection is required for these functions.
- After the upload is complete, you’ll see information about your sleep quality and efficiency. If you recorded nighttime noises, there will be a timeline showing spikes in the noise level and several recordings. The app differentiates snoring and environmental disruptions based on the pattern of the sound waves.
- To get more insight into your sleep quality, complete the self-assessment. The answers are translated into a numeric sleep score that shows whether the quality of your rest is poor, moderate or excellent.
The Premium Sleep Monitoring App
The free version of this sleep monitoring app is a great place to start. If you want a personalized plan to help you overcome insomnia, nighttime disturbances or sleep disorders, the premium Sleep-Life Balance Program has a lot of offer. You’ll get even more data if you use a heart rate monitor along with the app. Here are a few features that are available with the premium version of this sleep monitoring app:
- First, the sleep monitor will track your sleep patterns for several nights.
- Then, you can access and complete a full sleep assessment.
- Using data from the first two steps, you’ll get a personal sleep therapy plan.
Personalized recommendations backed by scientific research will help you to fall asleep faster, stay asleep and enjoy a longer night’s rest. With an effective sleep monitoring app, you will wake up feeling fresh and well rested.
Adding a Heart Rate Monitor to the App
Using a heart rate monitor will give you the most accurate picture of your sleep patterns and detect possible sleep disorders. Almost any Bluetooth-compatible activity tracker will work with the sleep monitoring app. Some products are worn around your chest. Others are placed on top of the mattress. You can use your own heart rate monitor or purchase a compatible device from the app maker. Most heart rate monitors will track the following sleep activities.
• Time spent in each of the four sleep stages
• Your overall relaxation level throughout the night
• Nighttime activity, such as tossing and turning or periodic limb movements
• Your arousal index as measured by the number of awakenings per hour
• Your heart rate at the beginning of the night and when you’re asleep
A sleep monitoring app like SleepRate produces results that improve your rest and your daytime performance. With Insomnia and sleep disorders, most people don’t know why they’re waking up frequently and not advancing to the deeper sleep stages. A comprehensive sleep monitoring system provides a complete picture of these activities along with proven recommendations that you can implement at home.